Well after a long day I am finally home.
Here is basically a run down of what is going on.
We arrived at the clinic and went over to see my doctors office where they gave us the list of 8 ultrasound dates for the next 3 months. A bunch of these are a day or two after I have an appointment with the OB which means $40 a week going to the Parking Devils, so that I can go straight to work after the appointment, it also means more days of having to rearrange everyone's schedules at work for the ultrasounds.
At this point I am pissed!!!!! I go to check in with the Special Pregnancy Program where I get told I have to redo my hospital card because my health card number changed.
Over to another desk, Where I get asked if I have filled in my pre-admittance form yet, I told them yes and confirmed with DH that he had dropped it off. Then I got told "oh well you were admitted In April", "ummm, yes, and I had to fill out the form again while standing in admitting"
She then says I have to fill it out again, due to a computer glitch. OKAY, this is the last straw that my poor sick prego hormones can take and I snap. I start saying I am not filling out any more forms just because they can't get their act straight. And why should I fill it out when I am just going to have to do it again!!! At this point I hear my name being called, I storm back over to the other desk, when the secretary ask why I don't have my new hospital card yet. At this point I loose it, I burst into tears in the waiting room, poor DH comes over only to find out they are calling another Sarah, and his wife standing crying. He gets me calmed down, and seated, goes over and gets the new card, gets the form filled out again and comes and sits next to me.
We finally go in to talk to the Endocrinologist who basically gets the brunt of another wave of hormones. Luckily she went through the same thing when she was pregnant and totally understand.
THe long and short of it is that I am not "diabetic" but I have "Impaired glucose tolerance". So after one hour I have a "high" Reading. This "high" reading is only .1 over their acceptable level. .1 could mean the difference of a sip of juice or a bite of a sandwich, or the stress of having to sit in a clinic and try not to puke up the fizzy orange drink that is sitting in my stomach churning around and around.
The Endocrinologist had agreed that we don't need to do all the ultrasounds as long as the baby is looking good and hasn't gained a ton of weight. Now we just have to get the doctor on board. DH is going to come and talk about all of this with my doctor on Monday and get this all worked out.
DH is very big on Risk vs. Benefit and he feels that putting these extra appointments on me in the long run will cause me and the baby more stress which as long as my blood sugar levels are in check then it is not needed. If my sugar levels get out of control or the baby starts gaining weight too quickly then we can add in more ultrasounds as needed.
I also have concerns about exposing the baby to too many ultrasounds if they are really not needed. 8 ultrasounds in 3 months just don't seem to sit well with me. Based on the fact that my sugars levels are only .1 over, and every other time we have tested them at home during the pregnancy they are well within normal range, I am hoping they will get on board with me.
We then got sent over to the diabetic clinic where I got given a Glucose Monitor, a diet guide and got more blood work done,
I am to follow the diet and they contact me on Friday to see if I am going to need insulin (which I really doubt).
So by Monday we will have a good idea of how my sugars are doing so hopefully we will be in a good position to argue our case with the doctors.
Phew....if you made it through all of that good for you!!!!


2 comments:
Aw, I feel so bad for you - sometimes it is all just too much, especially when people can't do their job right. Hopefully the docs will side with you so you don't have to do all the extra appointments.
this is so stressful for you I am sure. Your husband is amazing!!! What are the foods you are supposed to eat?
Post a Comment