I have a favor to ask, if you stumble across this blog and you know me or my dear husband in real life, I ask you to understand why we have not told people in our day to day lives what we are going through. Instead of gossiping about us, come talk to us. Thank you.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Graft Vs. Host Desease?? Any experiences??

James had to go in for his pre-op blood work today.

Actually the main reason for the blood work was to confirm that DH and James have the same blood type. Once this is confirmed (we know but they need to be sure) then my husband can donate blood for James' surgery so if he needs a blood transfusion then it comes from a known donor.

At first we were set on doing this, but now we are unsure because of a thing called Graft vs. Host Disease. Basically there is a 1% chance that by getting my husbands blood that James body could reject it and in the case of blood donation it is almost always fatal.

So now we have to decide what risk we want to take...

blood from an unknown donor or my husbands blood that we know the history behind...

If anyone has any input on this we would love to hear about it.

4 comments:

AnotherDreamer said...

I have no clue, no suggestions, but offering support. Wish I knew what to say.

Stephanie said...

I don't have any advice either, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have yet another thing to worry about now.

Cambridge Girl said...

I am not clear. How is it that by getting his blood vs. and unknown donor that he would be at risk for this?

Anonymous said...

this is what i found on several sites online

Graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) is a complication that can occur after a stem cell or bone marrow transplant in which the newly transplanted material attacks the transplant recipient's body.


it doesn't say anything about blood transfusions from a relative?

hope that helps!