I have a favor to ask, if you stumble across this blog and you know me or my dear husband in real life, I ask you to understand why we have not told people in our day to day lives what we are going through. Instead of gossiping about us, come talk to us. Thank you.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 24, 2010

Internet Friendships

When I was getting married, I signed onto a wedding planning Bulletin Board.   I attended a get together or two, and I met some great ladies.After I got married, the board started a second board for those of us that were married and moving on to a new chapter of their lives.  This has become one of the most supportive group of ladies in my life!

I have met some of these ladies in person, several of them I consider good friend and we met as often as our schedules allow.  Some of these ladies, I know only through messages and the board, but I still consider them great friends.  Everyone one is supportive of each other, we laugh together, cry together and celebrate life's up and downs.

Recently, one of the girls on the board has had a devastating loss, She has been forced to make some decisions that no parent should ever have to make.  At first she was worried about sharing, afraid of being judged.  But rather then judge her, I have watched and every one has rallied around her.  Offers have been pouring in for this girl, most of us have never met her in person, and only know her by a screen name, but that has not stopped us from sharing her pain and trying to help out in any way possible.

I don't know where I would be right now without my internet friends.  They have stood behind me during this long hard Rocky Road to Motherhood, they have been a virtual shoulder to cry on, they have lifted my spirits when I am feeling low, cried with me during my losses and helped to celebrate my successes.

This blog posting is a shout out to all those internet friends, some of which I will never met face to face, but I will call a friend.


FRIENDS WITHOUT FACES

We sit and we type, and we stare at our screens
We all have to wonder, what this possibly means.

With our mouse we roam, through the rooms in a maze
Looking for something or someone, as we with in a daze. 

We chat with each other, we type all our woes
Small groups we do form, and gang up on our foes. 

We wait for somebody, to type out our name.
We want recognition, but it is always the same. 

We give kisses and hugs, and sometimes flirt.
In PM's we chat deeply, and reveal why we hurt. 

We do form friendships - but - how, we don't know
But some of these friendships, will flourish and grow.

Why is it on screen that we can be so bold
Telling our secrets, that have never been told.

Why is it we share the thought in our mind
With those we can't see, as though we were blind.

The answer is simple, it is as clear as a bell.
We all have our problems, and need someone to tell.

We can't tell real people, but tell someone we must,
So we turn to the 'puter, and to those we can trust.

Even though it is crazy, the truth still remains
They are Friends Without Faces, and odd little names.


~author unknown~

14 comments:

My Hopeful Journey said...

Isn't it crazy how the internet has changed our relationships. We could be standing next to the person that gives us support on a forum or blog at the grocery store and never even know it.

threelittlekilos said...

i have made some amazing friendships through the internet -- and sometimes these are the people that you lean on when times are too raw to be able to do it in real life.

i loved that poem. i'm so glad that you have met some lovely ladies who continue to be of support to you. when i initially read the title, i honestly thought it was going to be a post where you mentioned these women who you had your weddings in common with, but then i thought you were going to say that then they'd all started to have babies and you felt left out and lost the friendships -- it was so nice to hear that that wasn't the case. :)

adsf said...

I agree, my IF blog friends are so great. I'm happy to have them and yet sad that we don't all live near each other.

Anyway, thanks for commenting on my blog and for not being offended by my opinion on milk in a bag. ;)

iclw

Marthavmuffin said...

Love this poem, thanks for coming by my blog.

I wish you luck on your journey.

Marthavmuffin said...

Love this poem, thanks for coming by my blog.

I wish you luck on your journey.

Anonymous said...

This is so true. I have a support group on babycenter and they are amazing. Love the poem too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It means alot.

ICLW #79

Terry Elisabeth said...

It's extraordinary how we need support and where we find it. It's wonderful that you have that board !

The best friendship I have has started by meeting in Toronto for a professional general assembly and we had to do projects together but she was in the Maritimes while I wa sin uébec and a friendship developed through email.

She was there for me in difficult times and I was there for her too.

Chon said...

Thanks for your comments on your blog. I agree this faceless community is what keeps us sane! Good luck with IVF#2!

Mon said...

Lovely poem, Sarah! I wish you all the very best for your next round of treatment.
I went through IVF treatment to have my two beautiful kids - I know it's a hard road, but hold on, continue to ask as many questions as you can, learn as much as you can and know that many faceless people wish you well :)
My heart is with you,
Mon
PS Nice to meet you in September ICLW and thanks for visiting my blog. Come back some time soon! I don't always blog about weight loss or fitness, sometimes it's more about life and how to find peace and happiness in our lives.

Kakunaa said...

I thinkb this is such a great poem :) I may have to repost this because it is SO true. All these ladies have gotten me through so much in just 6 months. Thank you for posting this :)

HAPPY ICLW #90

Suzy said...

The internet, bulletin boards and blogs have literally saved my life. Where would I be without these amazing friends? I dont know. I love that poem, Ive never seen it before :)

The Infertility Doula said...

This reminds me of an entry I'd done a few months back "Ode to Virtual Friends" (http://infertilitydoula.blogspot.com/2010/05/ode-to-virtual-friends.html) that I wrote on my other blog: The Infertility Doula.

I have made many friends through the years. Some have become real life friends. I cherish everyone one of them. Probably one of the best things to come out of my years of coping with infertility.

Thank you for commenting on both of my blogs.

Rebecca said...

That poem is beautiful. And so true. My online friends have saved my sanity. They have made me bolder. They have made me more likely to seek help when I need it. I never would have found people going through what I'm going through without IF forums and blogs. It has truly changed my life.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cambridge Girl said...

Ahh you have me all teary eyed.