I have a favor to ask, if you stumble across this blog and you know me or my dear husband in real life, I ask you to understand why we have not told people in our day to day lives what we are going through. Instead of gossiping about us, come talk to us. Thank you.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 22, 2011

Our Breastfeeding journey update

Our breastfeeding journey has come to an end.

You can read the background information here.

We have made the decision that Expressed Breast Milk in a bottle is the best option for James and I.

We tried the tube with the breast, and it worked for a day or two, but then James would just scream and cry at each feeding and would not latch.  It because stressful for not only James and I but anyone else that was around during feeding.   I truly feel deep down in my heart that the breast is just too hard for  his little heart.  Now that I have accepted this feeding is no longer a chore, and instead we can enjoy our cuddle time with the bottle.

I am committed to pumping until his surgery and if not longer if I can.  I have a friend who pumped for 16 months with her daughter and she has become my personal pumping cheerleader.  Whenever I think I can't do this, I think of her and I know I can keep going.

My pumping cheerleader also recommended this product called PumpEase.  It allows me to pump and keep my hands free to care for Jay (or visit blogs for ICLW :) )

Image from www.pumpease.com

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I gave up breastfeeding pretty quickly with Chloe too. Sounds like she acted just like your son. I guess I should continue to try with her since she is not even two weeks old, but I don't see it getting any better, and honestly I'm fine with pumping. I did get that bra though and it is great!!

Jessica White said...

That bra is pretty impressive! I love the polka dots. Take each day as it comes.

Congrats on your little boy!

ICLW
Jess
Life in the White House

bean dreams said...

And it's kind of cute! Who would have thought breast feeding could be so stylish! Good luck and congrats with your new little bean!

Tippy said...

I'm glad you have a path to follow with him. Love the pumping machine! Glad you guys are doing well.

Annie said...

Baby James is darling and he's very lucky to have a mama who will do whatever it takes to give him the best. Best wishes to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi from ICLW.

I'm not a mom (just yet!) but the whole breast feeding thing just gets to me...I know that it is good for the baby, but I can't believe the guilt that is associated with it. (And the lack of it, as it were). A friend of mine's milk didn't come in, and she was so upset, and another women said to her "You just didn't try hard enough!" Like, it's not your place to say something like that! Good lord. As if being a mommy isn't hard enough. BTW, your son is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the PumpEase!! I had a hard time with breastfeeding early on. I ended up pumping exclusively for his first month of life. We did eventually transition back to the breast. I did pump for Ant for 14 1/2 months, since I am a working mama.

It is great to know other people who pumped to help you get through this. My inspiration was my SIL. She pumped for twins for a year!

ICLW #23

ramona said...

Feeding time should be bonding time, not battle time. I so wish I had known about the pump ease with my daughter! Though she is adopted I managed to breast feed for five months until she got a cold and had to work a lot harder. This would have allowed me to pump more and keep up my already tenuous milk supply.

Congrats on your little guy, and thanks for commenting on my blog! You'll all be in my prayers!

JM said...

Jen at http://jennandtonica.com/ has triplets and uses that pumping thingybabober- she loves us! Glad you're still going the boob-juice route, and that it works for you guys.