Tuesday night at 9 p.m I pumped.
I am not sure what happened, I fell sleep watching the 11 p.m. news, when I woke up around 12:15 a.m. all the lights were out. At first I was confused, I didn't remember turning off the T.V and the lights. I didn't think that DH had turned them off because Jay was sleeping on my chest and he would not have left us that way.
Then I noticed that they power had gone out. I called DH to find a flashlight so I could feed and change Jay. I was due to pump again, but I figured I could just wait till his next feeding and pump.
First off let me tell you changing a baby boy by flashlight is a bit of a gamble. I couldn't see the "bits" enough to be able to see if he was about to turn into a fire hose. We managed to get his diaper changed without incident and headed to bed.
When I woke up at 3 a.m for Jay's next feeding there was still no power. I was starting to get a little uncomfortable but I figured I would just suck it up.
I kept waking up looking to see if the power was back on but nothing.
By the 6 a.m. feeding I was not a happy camper.
By the time 8 a.m. came around my boobs were killing me!! It was painful to even pick up Jay, and to make matters worse I was down to my last set of breast pads. Even just a little whimper from James started a waterfall from my chest. At this point my chest was so sore I couldn't even hand express.
Finally at 9 a.m I called the hydro company they had no time estimate of when the power was going to be back on. At this point the decision was made to head to my in laws, we packed quickly and headed out the door.
The drive to their house was SO PAINFUL!! Every little bump caused me pain, I was leaking through the breast pads.
By the time we got to the inlaws, I swear my boobs were about 2 cup sizes bigger. There were rock hard, I swear I looked like a porn star!!! I did notice DH staring at them, but he knew that if he even thought about touching them I would KILL him!!!
Within a few minutes of arriving I was hooked up to my milking machine and feeling sweet relief!!
I am planning to make sure I get the car adapter for my pump so if this ever happens again I can go to the car to pump!!


5 comments:
Looks like we both took a similiar road to get where we are. (Married 11 yrs, IF, conceive via IVF, baby boy).
My little guy is 6 months and I am weaning myself from the pump. I went from pumping four times a day down to one for now. I remember one time I forgot a part to the pump and I was in a lot of pain so I had to use the manual pump I got from the hospital. Hope you can the car adapter for your pump!
What a night! Hope your power comes back soon, and glad you headed out to the in-laws.
oh my goodness!! that sounds miserable!! So glad you were able to go to your in laws.
wow!!! that is crazy!! You crack me up!! Geez...sounds like you need a good nap and time for yourself. I will remember this story! and get a car adaptor!
What an awful experience! I can only imagine how painful that must have been - aghhhhh! But I am taking it as a cautionary tale to be sure that we get ourselves a car adapter for our pump way before we need one!
Keep watch for a breast infection.. My best friend got one because she waited too long to pump once, it was terrible, but could have been much easier if she caught it early.
Post a Comment