He has started having "tet spells"
Prior to corrective surgery, children with tetralogy of Fallot may be prone to consequential acute hypoxia (tet spells), characterized by sudden cyanosis and syncope. These may be treated with beta-blockers such as propranolol, but acute episodes may require rapid intervention with morphine to reduce ventilatory drive and a vasopressor such as epinephrine, phenylephrine, or norepinephrine to increase blood pressure. Oxygen (100%) is effective in treating spells because it is a potent pulmonary vasodilator and systemic vasoconstrictor. This allows more blood flow to the lungs. There are also simple procedures such as squatting and the knee chest position which increases aortic wave reflection, increasing pressure on the left side of the heart, decreasing the right to left shunt thus decreasing the amount of deoxygenated blood entering the systemic circulation.
Yesterday was a particually bad day, it was breaking my heart to watch my son struggle. We have an appointment with the cardiologist next week, I am pretty sure he will be starting on meds, and I am hoping to ask about at home oxygen therapy.
My anxiety is starting to get worse as well. I find myself waking up and then waking him up to make sure he is okay.
I keep telling myself just 2 months to his surgery, I can do this, but for the longest time I had my head in the sand trying not to think about it. But now I am starting to think about it.
I keep thinking what is it going to be like to hand over my son for surgery
Will he be scared?
Will he think we are abandoning him?
Will I be able to hand him over with out breaking down??
When I start thinking about this I get so overwhelmed by emotions I start to cry.
It is going to be a long 2 months.


5 comments:
I am so so sorry you're going through this. James is going to make it these next two months, through surgery, and will be absolutely better for it. And moreover, you'll make it through too. ((Hugs))
I'm so sorry. This must be so difficult. You have been so strong though and I know that will carry you through the two months and past the surgery. Hang in there.
I'm sure you WILL handle it, like so many other strong mothers out there, but I'm sorry that you (and your husband, and little James) have to <3
MY heart breaks for you! You poor momma!!! I wish I could give you a big hug!!! Okay..take a deep breathe. The doctors know what they are doing. I wonder if there is some sort of support group for you..I think you need this..and to be able to talk to other mothers going through the same thing:( You need to take care of yourself so you can take care of your baby. Please keep us posted. I am thinking positive thoughts!
hugs
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Big big hugs and sending you all some strength.
Post a Comment